Connect with us

Entertainment

DEPP SPEAKS: No one is safe from cancel culture

Johnny Depp Says Cancel Culture Is “So Far Out Of Hand” & “No One Is Safe”, Asks People To “Stand Up” Against “Injustice” – San Sebastian

Published

on

DEPP SPEAKS: No one is safe from cancel culture

Johnny Depp went on the record today saying that he is a victim of cancel culture and that “no one is safe” from the movement, calling on people to “stand up” for people facing “injustice”.

“It can be seen as an event in history that lasted for however long it lasted, this cancel culture, this instant rush to judgement based on what essentially amounts to polluted air,” he commented ahead of receiving the honorary Donostia Award at this year’s San Sebastian Film Festival.

“It’s so far out of hand now that I can promise you that no one is safe. Not one of you. No one out that door. No one is safe,” he continued. “It takes one sentence and there’s no more ground, the carpet has been pulled. It’s not just me that this has happened to, it’s happened to a lot of people. This type of thing has happened to women, men. Sadly at a certain point they begin to think that it’s normal. Or that it’s them. When it’s not.”

In what appeared to be a reference to his high-profile libel case with UK newspaper The Sun over its branding of him as a “wife-beater”, which he lost last year, Depp said, “It doesn’t matter if a judgement, per se, has taken some artistic license. When there’s an injustice, whether it’s against you or someone you love, or someone you believe in – stand up, don’t sit down. ‘Cause they need you.”

Fallout from the UK verdict included Warner Bros dropping Depp from its Fantastic Beasts franchise. The star has a blockbuster $50M defamation lawsuit against ex-wife Amber Heard scheduled to go to trial in the U.S. next year; Heard is pursuing a $100M counterclaim. More on that here.

Depp was fairly low-energy during today’s press conference but seemed willing to engage with attending journalists, clapping everyone in the room when he arrived, and didn’t appear to have an issue with addressing sensitive topics, which tend to dog the actor at this stage in his career.

Read more on Deadline…

Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Entertainment

Transgender Netflix workers plan walkout over Dave Chappelle controversy

Published

on

Transgender Netflix workers plan walkout over Dave Chappelle controversy

The business issues caused by a controversial Dave Chappelle comedy special are apparently anything but funny.

Transgender Netflix employees are planning an Oct. 20 walkout from the streaming service in response to a bevy of ongoing issues that all connect back to 48-year-old Chapelle’s “The Closer,” according to the Verge.

The most prominent of the problems was the suspension of a trans senior software engineer, Terra Field, who slammed Chappelle for his humor about trans people in a viral Twitter thread.

A source told The Post that Field was suspended not for the tweets but instead for intruding, along with two others, into an executives-only meeting.

Field has since been reinstated “after finding there was no ill-intent” in her attendance, she posted.

Field has since been reinstated “after finding there was no ill-intent” in her attendance, she posted.

“I’m going to take a few days off to decompress and try to figure out where I’m at. At the very least, I feel vindicated,” Field tweeted.

Despite that, Netflix’s trans employee resource group is still moving forward with a planned walkout next week, according to the Verge, which obtained their internal memo.

“Trans Lives Matter. Trans Rights Matter. And as an organization, Netflix has continually failed to show deep care in our mission to Entertain the World by repeatedly releasing content that harms the Trans community and continually failing to create content that represents and uplifts Trans content. We can and must do better!” a leader of the movement reportedly wrote.

Adding fuel to the fire, co-CEO Ted Sarandos defended Chappelle in an email to employees amid the debacle this week.

Read more on NY Post

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Rotten Tomatoes Tries To Hide That Audiences Hate ‘Fauci’ Doc

By popular demand, Rotten Tomatoes has reinstated the Audience Score for Disney’s Fauci documentary.

Published

on

Fauci, the worst movie in the history of IMDb

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jon Stewart says Trump has ‘a very good chance’ in 2024

Published

on

Jon Stewart says Trump has ‘a very good chance’ in 2024

Jon Stewart says former President Trump has “a very good chance” of winning back the White House if he enters the 2024 race.

“I think he’s got it — he’s got a very good chance. And they’re smarter about it,” Stewart said Sunday during an interview with David Remnick at the 22nd annual New Yorker Festival.

“The danger of the coup — again, Jan. 6 is the TV event moment of it,” the host of “The Problem with Jon Stewart” on Apple TV+, said of the riot by Trump supporters at the Capitol earlier this year. “It’s the special that came out. And that’s what all the TV networks were focused on.”

“He’s brilliant at understanding what will drive the television narratives,” Stewart said, referring to Trump.

Stewart also predicted that if Trump runs again, it will “all be about Jan. 6 and ‘Stop the Steal.'”

“But what I think they really learned from this exercise was there are really specific pivot points within the American electoral system, and those pivot points are generally the administration of elections run by partisans, but not ideologues,” he said.

The “actual danger of what happened” at the Capitol in January, Stewart added, “is that it exposed a fragility at a level that is not flashy, or sexy, or known.”

While Trump has repeatedly teased a potential 2024 White House bid, he hasn’t formally declared his candidacy.

“I thought he disqualified himself at every turn [in 2016],” the former “Daily Show” host said of Trump, adding that the former president displayed an “antibiotic-resistant strain of populism.”

“He came at the right moment for that audience with the right message, and unapologetic. And in a lot of ways, I think every time you thought that something was disqualifying or something would defeat him, but for those of us who have been in New York, we probably saw like, if nothing else, the dude’s resilient,” Stewart, 58, said.

Read more on the Hill

Continue Reading

Trending