Connect with us

World News

France to offer free birth control to all women

Published

on

France to offer free birth control to all women

PARIS (AP) — France will offer free birth control to all women up to age 25 starting next year, the health minister announced Thursday.

The measure will also include free medical visits about contraception, and will start Jan. 1, Health Minister Olivier Veran announced on France-2 television.

All contraceptive methods were already free for girls up to 18 years old, and that is being expanded to all women up to 25. Abortions in France are free for everyone.

Veran said young women are using contraception less than they used to, and that the main reason is financial. He didn’t cite specific data. France’s state health care system covers some birth control costs but not all of them.

“It’s intolerable that women aren’t able to to protect themselves, aren’t able to use contraception if they make that choice, because it would cost too much,” Veran said.

The measure will cost the government about 21 million euros (nearly $25 million) per year, he said.

“Finally!” tweeted Alyssa Ahrabare of activist group Osez le feminisme. “The high price of medical consultations and contraception blocks access for several women to this essential right that allows them to keep control of their bodies and lives.”

The health minister didn’t address contraception methods for men, or specify whether the measure would apply to trans and nonbinary people. The Health Ministry did not respond to queries seeking clarification.

Several other European countries offer free or subsidized contraception. Contraceptive methods cost nothing in Britain, for example, and Spain’s health system provides funding for 48 different birth control methods, and those administered in health centers are free.

Read more on AP NEWS…

Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Health

Israel’s vaccine pass expires 6 months after 2nd dose, people will need booster shots to keep going to restaurants and bars

Published

on

Israel’s vaccine pass expires 6 months after 2nd dose, people will need booster shots to keep going to restaurants and bars
  • Israel has set an expiration date on its vaccine pass, which enables access to restaurants and bars.
  • A booster shot received within five months of the second dose extends the pass’ validity by six months.
  • Israel has already delivered more than 1.9 million boosters, and people aged 12 and over are now eligible. 

Israel said its vaccine pass, which grants access to nonessential venues like restaurants and bars, now expires six months after the second dose of vaccine.

Getting a booster shot five months after the second dose resets the clock and extends eligibility for the so-called “green pass” by another six months, Israel’s health ministry announced on Sunday

The news comes as Israel rolls out boosters to most of its population. On Sunday, Israel’s health minister granted access to a third shot to all those over the age of 12 who received a second shot at least five months prior, the Times of Israel reported.

“From today, the third dose is available to everyone,” said Israeli Health Ministry Director-General Nachman Ash on Sunday, the Times of Israel reported. 

The pass is also valid within six months of recovery from COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status.

It is required to gain access to a number of nonessential venues such as bars and restaurants, The Wall Street Journal previously reported.

Read more on Business Insider

Continue Reading

World News

Report: China carrying out Nazi-style experiments on Muslims with organs cut out & mystery injections

Published

on

Report: China carrying out Nazi-style experiments on Muslims with organs cut out & mystery injections

CHINA is carrying out barbaric medical experiments on Uighur Muslims in a chilling echo of cruel research by Nazi doctors, campaigners have claimed.

Inmates in the Communist regime’s network of “re-education camps” are allegedly being given mysterious pills, injections and even having organs removed while still alive.

Nazi doctors conducted inhumane experiments on Jews and other persecuted minorities in concentration camps which shocked the world when it was exposed at the end of World War 2.

But it is alleged a similar sinister practice is going on today on Uighurs and other political prisoners who are rounded up and bussed to camps in China. 

According to Western estimates, between one million and two million people northwestern province of Xinjiang have been incarcerated at these facilities during Beijing’s campaign of oppression.

An Amnesty International report reveals claims from former prisoners that they have been subjected to medical experiments without consent are being carried out – just like under the Nazis.

Sacha Deshmukh, Amnesty International UK’s CEO, told The Sun Online: “The treatment to which the Uighur people are being subjected in Xinjiang camps is nothing short of horrifying.

“We know there’s widespread belief among detainees that forced sterilization is being practised on them, and we have concerns about other forms of medical experimentation without consent too.

Read more on The Sun…

Continue Reading

World News

Taliban Brings Back Hand Amputations

Executions and strict punishments will return

Published

on

Taliban Brings Back Hand Amputations

Strict punishments such as hand amputations and executions will return in Afghanistan, one of the Taliban’s founders said in an interview with the Associated Press.

Why it matters: Despite attempting to project a new image, the Taliban remain committed to a hard-line, conservative ideology, including harsh ruling tactics.

Details: Mullah Nooruddin Turabi, who was the justice minister and oversaw religious policing during the Taliban’s previous rule, said that while judges will adjudicate cases, the Quran will be the foundation of laws in Afghanistan, per AP.

  • Turabi added that the government is studying whether carry out punishments publicly and will “develop a policy” going forward.

What he’s saying: “Everyone criticized us for the punishments in the stadium, but we have never said anything about their laws and their punishments,” Turabi told the AP, referring to public executions conducted by the Taliban in the 1990s.

  • “No one will tell us what our laws should be. We will follow Islam and we will make our laws on the Quran,” Turabi said.
  • “Cutting off of hands is very necessary for security,” Turabi added.

Context: The Taliban announced earlier this month that their government would be an all-male cabinet dominated by “old-guard Taliban officials,” signaling a return to harsh rule.

Source: AXIOS

Continue Reading

Trending