Connect with us

Business

British Airways: Don’t Call Passengers ‘Ladies And Gentlemen’

British Airways tells pilots and cabin crew not to refer to passengers as ‘ladies and gentlemen’ in favor of gender-neutral terms to celebrate ‘diversity and inclusion’

Published

on

British Airways: Don’t Call Passengers ‘Ladies And Gentlemen’
  • British Airways has adopted more gender-neutral terms  to greet passengers
  • Other major airlines like easyJet have already adopted gender-neutral language
  • Japan Airlines used gender-neutral terms in 2020 for ‘positive atmosphere’ 

British Airways has instructed pilots and cabin crew not to refer to passengers as ‘ladies and gentlemen’ in an effort to celebrate ‘diversity and inclusion’.

Britain’s flagship carrier has abandoned the greeting in favour of more gender-neutral terms, reportedly to respect wider social norms and make children feel included. 

Other major airlines, including Lufthansa, easyJet and Air Canada, have already adopted gender-neutral language. 

Japan Airlines began using gender-neutral terms last year to ‘create a positive atmosphere and treat everyone… with respect’.

The Australian airline Qantas launched its ‘Spirit of Inclusion’ initiative in 2018 to encourage staff to refrain from using gender-specific terms, while US carrier Delta Air Lines is soon to start using such greetings during onboard announcements to create ‘a safe, comfortable and respectful space for all of our customers and employees’.

BA faced criticism this summer after axeing the drinks trolley and instead asking short-haul, economy-class flyers to pre-order or use an app – similar to those in Wetherspoon pubs – if they want a drink.

The airline said the move was to cut down on weight and food waste, but critics have complained that the lack of personal touch was an example of the nation’s flag carrier running down its services.

Read more on Daily Mail

Business

In-N-Out Burger invited to Florida

Published

on

In-N-Out Burger invited to Florida

San Francisco In-N-Out Forced to Close After Not Enforcing Vaccination Checks

A San Francisco In-N-Out Burger was temporarily shut down after employees did not check for customer vaccine documents, in violation of the city’s mandate.

The restaurant located in Fisherman’s Wharf was forced to shut down on October 14 but has since reopened with indoor dining remaining unavailable, the company said in a statement to Newsweek.

“We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government,” he said. “We fiercely disagree with any government dictate that forces a private company to discriminate against customers who choose to patronize their business. This is a clear government overreach.”

The company believes it is “unreasonable, invasive, and unsafe to force our restaurants to segregate customers into those who may be served and those who may not, based on the documentation they carry.”

The San Francisco Department of Public Health told Newsweek that they informed the business about the requirement “multiple times” after receiving a complaint from the city’s 311 service line.

SOURCE — NEWSWEEK

Continue Reading

Business

More Than Half Million Healthcare Workers Quit Jobs In August

Published

on

More Than Half Million Healthcare Workers Quit Jobs In August

More than half a million healthcare workers quit their jobs in August amid a surge of Delta variant COVID-19 cases, according to a report from the Labor Department.

In a job openings and labor turnover survey by the Bureau of Labor Statistics released Tuesday, data showed that in August the number of people who quit increased to 4.3 million — the highest on record since December 2000.

About 534,000 healthcare workers quit their jobs in August, up from about 404,000 during the same month in 2020.

The numbers suggest healthcare workers handed in their resignations in droves — fueling ongoing concerns of staffing shortages — as the highly contagious Delta variant caused COVID-19 hospitalizations to soar across the U.S. over the summer, Newsweek reported.

The number of people who quit also rose the most in the South and Midwest, the government said, the two regions with the worst COVID-19 outbreaks in August, ABC News reported.

About 892,000 people quit their jobs in hotels, bars, and restaurants, up about 21% from July and almost twice as many as in August 2020. About 721,000 Americans quit retail jobs.

On Friday, the government said job gains were weak for a second straight month in September, with only 194,000 jobs added, though the unemployment rate fell to 4.8% from 5.2%. Friday’s hiring figure is a net total, after quits, retirements, and layoffs are taken into account, ABC News reported.

Tuesday’s report showed hiring slowed in August, while the number of jobs available fell to 10.4 million, from a record high of 11.1 million in July. The largest decreases in job openings included healthcare and social assistance, the figures showed.

The data is not likely to have picked up the impact of vaccine mandates, Newsweek noted.

Read more on Newsmax

Continue Reading

Business

FDA Authorizes First E-Cigarette, Cites Benefit For Smokers

Published

on

FDA Authorizes First E-Cigarette, Cites Benefit For Smokers

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized an electronic cigarette, saying the vaping device from R.J. Reynolds can help smokers cut back on conventional cigarettes.

E-cigarettes have been sold in the U.S. for more than a decade with minimal government oversight or research. Facing a court deadline, the FDA has been conducting a sweeping review of vaping products to determine which ones should be allowed to remain on the market.

The agency said in September it had rejected applications for more than a million e-cigarettes and related products, mainly due to their potential appeal to underage teens. But regulators delayed making decisions on most of the major vaping companies, including market leader Juul, which is still pending.

Tuesday’s decision only applies to Vuse’s Solo e-cigarette and its tobacco-flavored nicotine cartridges. The agency said data from the company showed the e-cigarette helped smokers significantly reduce their exposure to the harmful chemicals in traditional cigarettes.

While the products can now be legally sold in the U.S., the FDA stressed they are neither safe nor “FDA approved,” and that people who don’t smoke shouldn’t use them.

Launched in 2013, Vuse Solo is a rechargeable metallic device that’s shaped like a traditional cigarette. The FDA said it rejected 10 other requests from the company for other flavored products. The agency is still reviewing the company’s request to sell a menthol-flavored nicotine formula.

“Today’s authorizations are an important step toward ensuring all new tobacco products undergo the FDA’s robust, scientific premarket evaluation,” said Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA’s tobacco center, in a statement.

“The manufacturer’s data demonstrates its tobacco-flavored products could benefit addicted adult smokers who switch to these products – either completely or with a significant reduction in cigarette consumption.”

E-cigarettes first appeared in the U.S. around 2007 with the promise of providing smokers with a less harmful alternative to smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes. The devices heat a nicotine solution into a vapor that’s inhaled.

But there has been little rigorous study of whether e-cigarettes truly help smokers quit. And efforts by the FDA to begin vetting vaping products and their claims were repeatedly slowed by industry lobbying and competing political interests.

In recent years, the vaping market grew to include hundreds of companies selling an array of devices and nicotine solutions in various flavors and strengths. But the vast majority of the market is controlled by a few companies including Juul Labs, which is partially owned by Altria, and Vuse.

Vuse is the No. 2 vaping brand in the U.S. behind Juul, accounting for about a third of all retail sales. Its parent company R.J. Reynolds sells Newport, Camel and other leading cigarettes.

A company spokesperson said in a statement that the FDA decision confirms “that Vuse Solo products are appropriate for the protection of the public health, underscoring years of scientific study and research.”

The company said it is still awaiting an FDA decision on its more popular vaping device, Vuse Alto.

To stay on the market, companies must show that their products benefit public health. In practice, that means proving that adult smokers who use the products are likely to quit or reduce their smoking, while teens are unlikely to get hooked on them.

Kenneth Warner, a tobacco expert at the University of Michigan’s school of public health, said the news was a positive step for reducing the harms of smoking. But he lamented that only a vaping device backed by a Big Tobacco company was able to win the FDA’s endorsement.

“The demands the FDA places on companies filing these applications are so extraordinary difficult to meet that only those with huge resources and personnel — in terms of scientists, lawyers, researchers — are able to file successfully,” said Warner.

He said smaller companies and vape shops should have a separate path to get their products authorized.

The FDA declared underage vaping an “epidemic” in 2018 and has taken a series of measures aimed at the small cartridge-based devices that first sparked the problem, including limiting their flavors to tobacco and menthol. Separately, Congress raised the purchase age for all tobacco and vaping products to 21.

Survey data collected earlier this year showed Vuse was the second-most popular e-cigarette brand among high schoolers who vape, preferred by 10%. Juul was the fourth-most popular e-cigarette, cited by less than 6%.

Read more on AP News

Continue Reading

Trending